Ingredients (for 8 servings):
- 1 kg filet of sole or any fresh, white, tender fish
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced (Julienne cut)
- 8 to 10 freshly squeezed key limes
- 4 finely chopped aji limo* / Chili (seeded and deveined)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 sweet potatoes
- Leaves of lettuce to garnish
- Maiz chulpi* fried or boil corn (optional)
- Boil or bake sweet potatoes, peel and cut into slices 1 inch (2 cm) thick
- Cut the fish in squares 1cm thick
- Wash fish and onions in cold water. Rinse
- In a large cold bowl rub cut slice of Aji limo * Chili
- Place the fish, onions, aji limo* finely chopped and cilantro in the large bowl. Add some ices cubes to keep the preparation fresh and start squeezing the limes. Don’t squeeze the limes so much. We don’t want to bring the sour flavor of the lime skin to our ceviche. Move all the ingredients with a metal spoon
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Take the ices cubes out of the bowl. Wait 10 minutes. In those 10 minutes the fish will be nicely cook with the lime juice and ready to eat.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with lettuce, sweet potatoes, and maiz chulpi
- Never use a plastic bowl! Only glass, metal or porcelain bowl. The bowl must be cold. Let the bowl seat in the refrigerator some minutes before you start preparing the ceviche.
- The fresher the fish the better. A good fish to prepare ceviche in Switzerland is "Rotzungenfilet"
- Prepare the ceviche at the moment you are planning to eat it. Never in advance.
- Aji limo is a Peruvian chili. If you can't find it in Switzerland, you could use Habanero or jalapeno pepper.